Wednesday, September 20, 2006

RE-CULTURE SHOCK

I was speaking to a friend on the phone this evening; she is in the process of moving back to Naija and as the days draw nearer she is starting to get nervous about the prospect of leaving the somewhat organised life she has lived in the UK for the past 2 years for all the hustle and bustle of naija. As expected she has a lot to sort out in terms of property, documents, etc and this is only from the 2 years she has been here. This got me wondering if I was in the same position, it wouldnt be just 11years worth of stuff I would be having to contend with!
Dont get me wrong ; I love my country, I really do, but every time I pay a visit it's more obvious to me that that country is so far from the state in which I left it. There have been some positive changes, i must say but it also appears to me that the pace of life is becoming more and more frantic, the sense of desperation more heightened, even the weather seems to be more unbearable!
I went back for christmas holidays a few years ago and had to catch a local flight from Lagos to PH after we arrived. We purchased our tickets in plenty of time and then proceeded to board the flight; the problem was so did about 200 other passengers! That's right; the flight had been overbooked. As I raced across the tarmac to the plane under the hot sun, I thought to myself, 'is this for real? Even when we got to the plane I was still doing my polite 'excuse me please' and 'sorry' as I jostled with everyone else trying desperately to get on that plane. I then heard my aunt shouting to me, 'what are you doing down there?! Come up quickly or else you are not going to get a seat, oh!' Panicking at the fact that I might be left behind all sense of curtesy left me.I started elbowing anyone that got in my way; old, young, madam, oga, I didnt care! I was going to get on that plane if it killed me!! My poor cousin (who had never been to Naija before) ended up struggling with a much older woman for the last seat on the plane and won in the end, much to woman's annoyance. But somehow she still managed to 'share' a seat with some guy at the back of the plane (dont ask me how). I just thank God we got home in one peice.
The other issue I find myself contending with is the weather. Looking back at the outfits I used to wear back then I think to myself, 'how on earth could I have worn that and not been stifled to death?!' From the long-sleeved fitted body-hugging suits (BLACK), even turtle-neck sweaters and sweatshirts - all in the name of fashion! I would still choose the sun and the heat any day, anytime to the miserable british weather but now when I go back home I can just about wear t-shirts with sleeves, let alone long-sleeves.
It also seems, even my digestive system has to re-adjust to some of the local delicacies. I used to be able to eat anything back then with no problems whatsoever; isi-ewu, suya, etc. But the last time I had some bole (roast plantain) back home it gave me such an upset stomach it wasnt even funny. Now I've had bole here in London, but y'all know its not just the same, but for some reason the same thing that makes it taste so good back then seems to be the same thing that turned my insides. And as for the isi-ewu incident, I'm not even going to go into that.
Basically my point is even though I'm still naija to the core , there are certain things I will have to re-adjust my body and mind to when I decide to brave it back there for good (God knows when that will be!) At the end of the day, there's still no place like home.

6 Comments:

At 1:12 AM, Blogger Noella said...

Babe
its called BOLI!!! Not Bole, there's no such thing........
And you mean that two people were sitting on the same seat, what where they sharing a seatbelt too?

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger Beautifully Human said...

lol. my bad! I dont know about the seatbelt; I'm not even sure if it was a proper plane seat!

 
At 2:05 AM, Blogger Nkem said...

That's the problem with Naij, it makes you do things you wouldn't do in your most insane frame of mind. Hustling for a seat on a plane? Where in the world would that be considered acceptable, let alone actually doing it?

Food is something I've had to deal with. Since moving to England, I generally eat less pepper than I used to, and whenever any of my aunts cook their conc soups/stews, it totally throws me off.

I consider anybody moving back to Nigeria (if they have the choice) to be a combination of foolhardiness and bravery...

 
At 2:08 AM, Blogger Lowla said...

Wow..I feel your friend totally. I am contemplating of going back.. Ive heard good things and I've heard bad things, so I don't even know. But I think a visit is due, so I might as well take one when I am set to go.

I'm really nervous about the culture shock especially for the fact that where I am located, I hardly even bump into black folks (mostly asians), and haven't had a taste of Naija food since I left. Its all good though..
Goodluck to your friend..

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger LondonBuki said...

LOL, I was about to correct you that it's Boli but Dilichi has done it.

I am going back in January for a couple of weeks for the first time in over 8 years! I don't know what to expect. Maybe I will not buy dundun, boli, etc from the roadside oh!

As for moving back home, I don't know if and when that's gonna happen!

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

The things that happen in naija are MINT! They cant happen/occur anywhere else in the world. Right from the airport, its always one revelation after another!! Imagine having to pay N250 for a trolley just to carry your luggage from the Arrivals hall to the car. I was shocked beyond words. Trolleys that are free of charge in every other airport all over the world!!

The Trolley Attendant (Yes oh!! they had someone on standby to collect the money before you can wheel the trolley away) even had the nerve to suggest that since I didnt ahve Naira on me, I could give her either £5 or £10 in lieu of the N250 payment. £5 ko, £10 ni!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home