Monday, October 30, 2006

S.A.D

It got dark at about 4pm today. **sigh** This time of the year really makes me feel so low, bcos some 'days' dont actually feel like days, but more like nights. I mean, some 'days' I wake up and its dark outside, I go to work, spend the whole day indoors and when I leave at about 6pm it's still pitch dark outside.
I've lived in this country for about 11 years now and the weather is the one thing I have still not gotten used to. I can say I'm now used to the
eccentric behaviour and mannerisms of the British
sometimes strange cuisine (crisp sandwich, anyone? )
oh-so- stiff upper lip attitude of the British
DRY (or should I say 'arid') british sense of humour
and so much more. But this seasonal change, this time of the year when everything just seems to be slowing down and everyone seems to go into hibernation (maybe its bcos the days become shorter and the nights longer?) I still cant get my head around and honestly speaking, I don't think I ever will.
There was an article in the Metro today on SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) , a condition that affects about half a million Britons. The theory behind this affliction is that lack of sunlight in the winter months destabilises chemical levels in the brain and this results in decreased levels of the 'feel-good' hormones and increased levels of the hormone that depresses mood. Sufferers experience lethargy, depression, irritation, disturbed sleep patterns and tend to comfort eat and gain weight during this period, but all of these symptoms are completely alleviated during the summer. The mainstay of treatment is phototherapy (intensive light therapy) in which special light boxes are used to mimic natural sunlight , giving sufferers the illusion that they are in a brighter climate.
Reading this article reminded me of a very interesting post I came across on a blog a while back. (See HERE) Basically her take on the reason why such disorders, including depression are not common amongst Africans,(and by Africans, I'm referring specifically to Nigerians) is that trying to cope with the daily struggles of life - food, shelter,education, employment, security, etc - leaves very little room for us to get depressed. I totally agree with her viewpoint because it makes sense; even more sense than what I was thought about the pathophysiology of depression at University. (Dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to trivialise this condition as I know it actually exists, I'm just trying to decipher why it occurs in the first place.)
And of course, having the fear of God and the assurance that we are all fearfully and wonderfully made and have been put on this earth for a purpose is another reason. If we as humans focus on this irefutable fact then would there actually be a place in our lives for depression?
I've got a lot to be thankful for, why should I be depressed? I'm alive, healthy and so are my loved ones. A couple of months of no sunshine will not be a reason for me to wallow in despair or be SAD. Only another seven or so months to go until summer comes around again.

8 Comments:

At 12:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dang! 7 more months :( seems far maaaan... but thank God time flies at times. I don't think i get affected by the season... my thing is PMS..lol

 
At 2:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol... no wonder british ppl r so cranky sometimes!!!

 
At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand where you're coming from, I think I suffer from a touch of SAD myself. I always feel better in the summer - probably because the heat forces the guys to take their shirts off? ;)

I'm proud to be a Brit though, crisp sandwiches and all! Lol! And you should know by now, being British is really all about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. And the most British thing of all?
Suspicion of anything foreign!

YES, I AM PROUD TO BE BRITISH! LOL!

x mwah x

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Beautifully Human said...

@young miss williams: nicely put!! LOL!!!

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger NaijaBloke said...

Like OWN sadi ..thatz probably why all y'all r always cranky..LOL

 
At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey BH,

Check my new post out... I know we've only just 'met' but I dedicate this one to you because you inspired me! I think you just might like it!

x mwah x

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger LondonBuki said...

LOL! ONLY Seven???

I cannot stand this weather!!! It is dark before I leave work! WHAT?!?!?

@NB and ONB You better watch it! LOL!!!

 
At 3:12 AM, Blogger Vera Ezimora said...

Beautifully Human, ndo o' nna nne'm. Isn't there a way to bring the sun into your house before it goes away? Of course, there will be a side effect of 1st degree burns, but @ least you'll have some light, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home