Tuesday, October 17, 2006

STALKER ANTHEMS

I wouldn't say that I'm a sucker for love songs, but I can (proudly) declare that I know the lyrics to at least 90% of the songs that are played on the likes of Heart fm or Magic fm. (hey what can I say, I have a very retentive memory!)
I love all the golden oldies, especially songs from the motown era; Lionel Ritchie, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, etc... they are credited with singing some of the most beautiful songs ever. I've got an eclectic taste and also love songs by Abba, Chicago, Phil Collins; the list is endless.
Now whilst I may know the words to so many songs, I must admit that I dont necessarily pay attention to their lyrics, rather its the melody, the tune and harmonies of the song that captivate me . Which leads me to the point of this post.
I recently bought the 'Chicago's greatest hits' album. For those of you that dont remember, some of their popular hits include 'hard for me to say I'm sorry' , 'If you leave me now' and 'hard habit to break'. So I was playing the album in my car last week , listening to the first track (hard habit to break) and my (somewhat crazy) friend suddenly remarks, 'you know this song sounds like a stalker anthem!' According to her, a stalker anthem is a song that sounds so desperate that it wouldnt be far off from what a stalker would sing to the object of his/her affection. The lyrics are filled with so much longing that it almost borders on obsession with the subject in question. Actually listening to the lyrics of the above song, the chorus goes like this:

Now being without you takes a lot of getting used to
Should learn to live with it but I don't want to
Living without you it's all a big mistake
Instead of getting easier It's the hardest thing to take
I'm addicted to ya babe. You're a hard habit to break


When I really paid attention to the words of the song, I grudgingly realised that she was right; it does sound a bit stalker-ish. So, with her help, I've compiled a list of my top ten stalker anthems. Feel free to add to this as I'm sure my list is not exhaustive.

10. End of the road - Boys II Men. Some of you are going to cuss me out on this one, but a part of the chorus does sound a tad desperate, hence the reason it's number 10 on my list:

Although we've come to the End Of The Road; still I can't let you go.It's unnatural, you belong to me, I belong to you

9. Can't stop loving you - Phil Collins.

Cause I can’t stop loving you. No I can’t stop loving you. No I won’t stop loving you .Why should I? (Na by force?)

8. Damned - Bon Jovi. The chorus of this song sounds almost angry!

Damned if you love me. Damned if you don't. It's getting harder holding on, but I can't let you go. Damned if you don't need me. Damned if you do. God, I wish it wasn't me standin' in these shoes. Damned, damned ...

7. Hard habit to break - Chicago (see lyrics above)

6. I dont wanna live without your love - Chicago

I don't wanna live without your love, I don't wanna face the night alone.

I could never make it through my life if I had to make it on my own.

I don't wanna love nobody else, I don't wanna find somebody new.

I don't wanna live without your love, I just wanna live my life with you.

5. I dont want to - Toni Braxton . Now the whole song , to me, has stalker undertones, but the bridge and the chorus particularly stand out:

And I don't want to sing another love song babe. I don't want to hum another melody

I don't want to live my life without you babe yeah .It's driving me crazy (crazy)

I don't wanna laugh, I don't wanna play,I don't wanna talk, I have nothing to say

I don't want to tour, forget this show and how can I go on now that you are gone

4. Breathe again - Toni Braxton

If I never feel you in my arms again .If I never feel your tender kiss again

If I never hear I love you now and then. Will I never make love to you once again

Please understand if love ends then I promise you, I promise you

that, that I shall never breathe again. Breathe again breathe again.

That I shall never breathe again. Breathe again

And this line from the 3rd verse does have the potential to send chills down one's spine (if it wasn't already from a song we all know and love):

And I can't get you outta my mind. God knows how hard I tried

And if you walk right out my life God knows I'd surely die!!

3. I'm gonna make you love me - Diana Ross and Smokey Robinson. I really, really love this song, but the chorus does make me laugh:

I'm gonna get you, I'm gonna get you. Look out boy cos I'm gonna get you!

I'm gonna make you love me. Oh yes I will, yes I will...

2. Without you - Mariah Carey. A truly beautiful song, I think the song speaks for itself.

I can't live If living is without you. I can't live I can't give any more

And the ultimate, number one stalker anthem goes to :

Every breath you take - Sting

Every breath you take. Every move you make.

Every bond you break, every step you take I'll be watching you

O can't you see You belong to me. How my poor heart aches with every step you take

Every move you make. Every vow you break

Every smile you fake, every claim you stake I'll be watching you!!!

So there you have it. What I consider to be the top ten 'stalker anthems' in my collection. But never mind; I still love them , regardless.

8 Comments:

At 2:56 AM, Blogger Delusional Puppeteer said...

Don't forget that song invisible, it's pretty creepy.

 
At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO. funny

 
At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmn! Interesting blog, as I went through your list, I could see why they could be called stalker anthems. However, I believe that those lyrics epitomize love. I mean, I wouldn't want somebody who wouldn't 'scale over the seven seas for me' (babyface). The thoughts or words are what count.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger NaijaBloke said...

Nice collections .. LOL @ stalker anthems ..

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger LondonBuki said...

LOL!!!!!!! You are too funny!!!

 
At 7:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my God girl.. I totally love phil collins, lionel richie.. dont forget barry white(crafted some of the best love songs of all time), marvin gaye, bryan adams.. I could just go on and on here

lmao@boys 2 men.. U CANT DO THAT GIRL>> ITS BOYS 2MEN!!! lmao@toni braxton's I don't want to.. i guess she really needed someone to take her out of bankruptcy

I'm gonna make you love me is just putting it out there 4real.. its like you have no damn choice.. whether you like it or not! lmAO@STING... CALL 911.. COS THATS A STALKER...

 
At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO!!!!!!!!

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger hairyfish said...

check out Brian Adams'"Wherever you go"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home