Saturday, December 23, 2006

MY BEST FRIEND

Where do I start on this one?

I’ve known her for about 8 years now. We met when I was in the 1st year of Uni through her cousin. I remember that day; I was in the lounge watching t..v. and she popped her head through the door, and asked me if I’d seen her cousin. I replied that I hadn’t and then she left and returned later with to watch t.v. whilst she waited for her cousin to show up. We got talking and I remember thinking, ‘ she’s alright, she’s funny.’

On various occasions, as was the case back then, we all used to go clubbing/partying together . Once we were standing in line waiting to get into the club and she got chatting to this random American girl who was in front of us. The babe started speaking in some serious American ‘fune’!!! I was in hysterics and the fact that we had to queue up for almost and hour in the freezing cold didn’t bother me as much ‘cos I was kept entertained the whole time!

We kind of kept in touch from then on, but I think the point at which we got closer was when her Uni’s Afro-carribean society had a party at some club and she introduced me to a friend of hers, who I hit it off with (though not instantly!) I think he was the reason we started talking a lot more 'cos she was constantly ringing me to ask me how things were going with him, etc.

Said guy has since long gone, but our friendship has stayed strong over the years. Looking back, I realise we have shared a lot of experiences ; both the good, the bad, the happy and the not so happy. At a period in my life I was going through a very rough patch - I was involved in a relationship that was not so healthy for me and when I was finally honest enough to admit this she refused to let me get into that ‘I’m feeling sorry for myself’ mode and bluntly gave me a good talking to! To an outsider listening in on that conversation it would have sounded like she was being harsh and unsympathetic, but in retrospect, I think that if she hadn’t told me those few home truths, I might still find myself in that relationship today.

She is one of the most selfless, generous people I know and is forever throwing surprise parties for friends on their birthdays, wether or not they feel like celebrating it. I remember my birthday a few years ago; I had invited about 10 of my friends out for a birthday dinner at some restaurant and 2 days prior to it they all started pulling out for one reason or the other. I was so upset and wanted to cancel the whole thing , but she convinced me to still have it , even if it was just going to be the two of us. So I did and imagine my surprise when, a few minutes after we arrived, everyone else all started showing up, one by one!! It was all a conspiracy between them and the plan was to surprise me by eventually turning up when I ddint expect them to, and beleive me I was pleasantly surprised!! On my birthday this year; I was in a very funny mood (in a bit of a funk, as Belle would say. lol) and I just wanted to be on my own and not even talk to anybody. Most people would have just let me be and wait for my mood to pass, but not her; she went ahead and planned a surprise for me, in the hopes that she could persuade me out of my funk. But I was adamant that I would not be celebrating that day and so unfortunately her efforts were wasted. Needless to say I felt and still do feel very bad that I didn’t appreciate what she was trying to do for me at the time, especially when I found out the lengths to whcih she had gone.

One selfless act I will never forget happened about 2 years ago when I found myself in a spot of bother over a speeding incident. I was subsequenty summoned to court and I literally freaked out because I didn’t have a UK driving licence at the time; I was still using my international one, but I thought ‘ oh my God, I’m going to have a criminal record and be charged with dangerous driving!’ Being a barrister, she offered to attend as my counsel to plead my case for me ( free of charge !). And it was a good thing she did bcos I was shaking like a leaf and couldn’t even speak for myself; I was so nervous!!!! That incident really touched me and for me it gives a whole new meaning to the term ‘through thick and thin.’

She has helped me grow as a christian, and while I do not claim to be the best I can be now (I’m still working on it and like everyone else I slip so very often), I can definitely say that my friendship with her has spiritually influenced me in a positive way. My love affair with gospel music really began after she introduced me to the various artists all from different genres and from then on I began to take more of an interest. She has been there and prayed for me and with me, particularly when I have been going through some tough times. I don’t always share my thoughts and let on what I’m really feeling but she knows and is always ready to offer advice and support, never mincing her words. If you’re looking for someone who will sugar-coat everything and tell you what you want to hear, beleive me she is the last person you should look for.

I really value her as a person for all of the above reasons as well as the fact with her what you see is what you get; when she’s angry or upset with she will make sure you know how she feels, but then the minute its all out of her system, she’ll be back to her normal crazy self. In this respect we’ve had our fair share of quarrels and arguments (remember New York, babes? ) She will go out of her way for the people she cares about and expects the same from them. Quite a few times, this expectation has not always been met (I’m speaking for myself here) but now I realise that’s what really makes a good friend and have learnt from my own shortcomings.

So as her birthday comes around this year I thought what better way to show my appreciation than to post a little tribute to her and let her know how much I really value her friendship. I don’t often say it bcos I’m not, and never have been, very good with words, but today I just want everyone to join me in celebrating one of the best friends anyone could ever wish for.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DILCH!!!!

14 Comments:

At 3:25 AM, Blogger Morountodun said...

Thank God for friends. No man (or woman) is an island afterall

 
At 5:09 AM, Blogger Vera Ezimora said...

Happy Birthday Dilch!!

Yes oh, as Morountodun said, no man is indeed an island.

 
At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky you! A true friend is worth a fortune ... and having a friend you can trust in time of thin and thick is admirable.

Birthday wishes to Dilich! May you both live longer to enjoy the beauty of friendship.

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger Doc A said...

aaww Happy bday Dilch...we all need friends like you. I have much love for all my real friends, may you both be old women sharing your good ol days!!

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Noella said...

AWWWWWWWWW babe, that's sooooooo sweet, you know I'm never going to let you live it down. I'm going to print it out and put it on your wall!!
You're great friend as well, even though I know you are angling for a post on my blog as well.......

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Dilch - Happy Birthday to you too!! Though I'm some days late but better late than never hmmmn?

Merry Xmas to u beautifully human and best wishes for the New Year ahead!! Thanks for the Birthday Wishes too!! Cheers!!

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger DiAmOnD hawk said...

we all need friends like that...ones we can count on/lean on...glad you found a friend like that in her...

happy birthday to Dilichi

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger NaijaBloke said...

Nice post ...
Happy Birthday Dilch ..

 
At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow...that was touching!!! it's a blessing to have great friends... and she sounds like an awesome person!

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger omo naija said...

we all need friends like that. able to support you in times of need and call out your bullshit too
thanks for your comment earlier.

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger chainreader said...

i'm not going to cry. am not going to cry. you can't make me!

that was too touching. life is soo much brighter when you have friends like that.

 
At 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BH, I'm sure your girl would say the same for you, you are just too sweet!

Hope you had a good xmas,

x mwah x

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Daddy's Girl said...

Awww... that is so very sweet.

 
At 5:52 AM, Blogger my thots said...

i wish i had a best friend, sobs *sniff*sniff*. this is really sweet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home