Monday, December 04, 2006

TO GIVE OR NOT TO GIVE, THAT IS THE QUESTION?

Hey peoples!!! I know, I know its been a long minute (as Engineer Ayo would say) since I've updated or even commented on any blogs. Y'all dont even wanna get me started on all the stress of work , bcos once I start I wont be able to stop!
Anyways I trust you've all been good whilst I've been M.I.A. lol. Man, I've got a lot of catching up to do, oh!! But first let me post something before some people will swear for me. (Vera abeg warn your man , Naijabloke, oh! What am I even saying? You too, you even followed him to be harrassing me! lol)

Well I actually thought of posting this a while back. The idea came to me when I was reading Calabargal's post on some randy bloke she encountered at the train station. He asked her for her telephone number and she lied that she left her phone at home, but whilst she was talking to him, her phone rang, blowing her cover!!! That got me thinking back to the numerous times in the past when I'd been asked for my phone number by some random guy I had just met at party but wasn't even remotedly interested in.
To the ladies: what excuse do you give when you so DO NOT want to give your digits out to some dude you know you definitely wont be speaking to once you leave that particular club/party/get together? Do you :

A. Give a fake number and pray he doesn't call it whilst you're standing there just to prove it's authenticity?
B. Give your real number , but also get his and save it on your phone so that whenever he calls you know its him and can therefore avoid answering?
C. Make some excuse about your phone (as Calabargal did) and take his number instead, knowing fully well you aren't going to call him.
D. Decline politely, but firmly.

Now I'm sure most people would say that the last option is the simplest and the most sensible thing to do , but if, like me, you find it very difficult to say no, sometimes it seems like it is less of a hassle to just come up with an excuse and be done with it. But believe me I tried all of the above excuses in the past only for them to backfire on me. Let me illustrate with the following experiences:

Option A: Some guy I met at a friend's party once asked for my number and of course I gave hima fake number. He didnt try to dial it in front of me, so I thought I'd get away with it. Only for a couple of days later , my friend's brother (who he happens to be friend's with) tells my friend to tell me that the guy had tried calling the number, realised it was a fake one and had rained insults upon my head! I wont repeat the exact words , but I'm sure you get the picture.
Another time I gave a guy at a club a fake number, thinking he wont bother to try and call it as we were in a club! But guess what, he did; right there and then! Needless to say I couldn't make my escape fast enough. lol

Option B: At another party , upon being askled for my number I gave every excuse in the book in order to avoid giving it, but dude just wouldn't take no for an answer! so finally I conceded just to get him off my case and gave him my number but also took his and saved it on my phone under the name 'x' . Everytime he called me I never answered it; for weeks the dude tried and tried and I then I started to get irritated. I thought, ' doesn't this guy give up?' Then he called me on a witheld number . Now I always pick up my phone when I see it's a witheld number bcos most of the time its an international call. I answered and imagine my shock when I was greeted with insults! Dude was going on about how 'you have no home training' and ' you need to learn some f***ing manners!' Na wa oh!!! Because I don't want to talk to you?! When I told you I didnt want to give you my number, you said I was fronting! It's not your fault at all. Na me wey look for trouble! **hiss**

Option C: A friend and I were at a bar and some random guys approached us and asked if they could buy us drinks. Normally I wont accept such an offer but my friend was like 'why not?' So, time for us to leave and , you guessed it, he asked for my number. I was going to lie and say that my phone got stolen, but unfortunately he had already seen me using it . So I lied that I had a boyfriend, but that didnt faze him. He insisted that I take his number, which I did. Then he said, 'why dont you ring it now, so I can make sure its the right number as its a new phone.' Without thinking I called the number! And then realised too late that as a result my number would show up on his phone!! Which it did; I was so mad at myself; what the heck was I thinking? or rather I wasnt thinking at the time. Anyways there followed a few weeks of him calling and me not picking up. Finally I had to get my cousin to answer my phone and pretend to be my boyfriend and warn him to stop calling me. It wasnt funny!

Bottom line; I never give out my number anymore. I try to stick with option D and if the guy thinks I'm fronting, too bad! I think I've received enough insults and harrassment over the whole thing and its certainly not worth all the hassle. And do you know the most annoying thing - the guy you wouldn't mind giving your number to never seems to ask for it!!!

16 Comments:

At 8:39 PM, Blogger Noella said...

Men this babe you're really feeling sha. Why didn't you just call your post I'M SO HOT!! Na wah for you oh, you're lucky sha, all these guys toasting you and asking for your number (lol)

 
At 11:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've rinsed all four options myself. Apparently Radio One set up a fake number you can give that picks the calls/voice messages up and airs them on the radio. Don't know if that's true though, I don't listen to Radio One!

Ever done this? Give out an ex's number? I did that when I broke up with my first ever boyfriend ;)

And now if I don't like 'em (or if I overly like them) I just tell them that I get men to earn my number digit by digit... make them work for it throughout the night, or in the case of A Jermaine I Once Had - over a month! ;)

You gotsta work it girl! ...Sounds like you are n doin alright BH, good to have you back!

x mwah x

 
At 6:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tired all four options too. i even told one dudue that my phone was stolen ad i was thinking of buying a new one. then guess wat happened(no..the fone didn't ring!!!) as i turned to go the dude called be back and asked why i was lying that he saw my fone hanging from my back jeans pocket as i turned. omo, i almost fainted i had to lie that the fone belongs to my boss that he gave me to use b4 i replaced mine...lol

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger LondonBuki said...

I have used option three a couple of times and I think it's the easiest.

Pele, I cannot believe the guys verbally attacked you like that!!! It's not by force!

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Daddy's Girl said...

Yup, I have done all four options. I think I probably do Option C the most these days. I used to do Option D but some people never give up and just keep hassling you. As Buki said, Option C is easier.. good to have you back.

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger NaijaBloke said...

Aunty how come u always meet the crazy ones ..LOL(messing with u)

U have a lovely weekend

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

Na real wa o,. All u hawt ladies on blogger. Some guys are plain ole crazy. Enjoy ur weekend.

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Some of them can be terribly persistent even when they are clearly seeing the handwriting on the wall. I still stick to option C - only that in my case, I give them the number of an old sim that isnt in a handset.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Vera Ezimora said...

Tell them you've got a boyfriend girl. Tell them your man will not be pleased to know you're giving ur numver away. If he insists, then u have 2 insist too.

If that doesn't work, you can always say you're gay. LOL. I and my friend Uju have said we are both gay. That definitely got him running, lol

 
At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lmao... fantastic post... I usually just tell them I have a boyfriend and don't listen to anything else or take their number... I usually never call a dude if i get his number no matter how sexy... so... i avoid all the hassle... lmao.. but you just reminded me of a time my best friend gave a guy a fake number and it turned out it was a number for a gym... and i'm friends with the dudes' friend.. so once he saw me and was like ur best friend self.. do i look that fat that she chose to give me a gym number?! lmao.. it was the funniest thing ever!!! you're jokes oh babe.. i've missed your posts.. hope you're coping with work!

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Life through rose-tinted glasses said...

babe wassup now its been a while u updated ur blog pls come and blog oh lol how are u anyway hope ur ok....take care

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Dris J said...

LMAO...Y'all see what brodas go through to get numbers.

I have not been so unlucky to experience all the options, but I sure have experienced getting the right number with a fake name!

Reminds me of when GSM just entered 9ja, it was too expensive that everybody that had phones wanted to give out numbers so that our phns could ring and thereby show off with dem polyphonic ring tones. It was just all effizy! Now that it's free for all, with free nite calls, 9ja chics have bin mo discrete with their numbers.

@Vera, wassup wiv d boify thing? I must say that surely makes so many brodas wan2 chase your a** like mad. Remember, no man wants a woman that another man doesn't want!And the Gay thang, now that's just sooo hilarious.

@YMW, now I think that's a little harsh..Anywayz, if you are truly worth every inch of the effort, I for one will earn the digits..just make sure the country codes are not included..lol

All said, nice blog and comments ladies...

 
At 4:13 AM, Blogger Vera Ezimora said...

u this Igbo gal ehn... u berra update o!

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger NaijaBloke said...

So u have not finished giving abi ..Nne kedu maka ..no let me speak ibo for u o ..make u do quick update this blog ASAP ..

Merry Xmas in advance

 
At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...particularly like the option c, the guy must av felt like 007. Anyway, the great thing 'bout the human brain, it doesn't take that long feign something.
@Vera, that could be risky oh. If the guy goes, he luvs gays nko? There really are crazy people u know. An interestin' question though.

 
At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys have not seen a desperado b4.A couple of yrs ago.. I was facilitating a training for one of the telecom coy in Nigeria.One of the dudes (ugly to d boot) told me he needed to make a call desperately so unwittingly, I gave him my phone.Well guess what - he used my phone to call his phone.. so he got my number without asking for it.I thot it was funny but I cussed him out.We were never friends after that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home