Sunday, August 19, 2007

THE UNWITTING SUGAR MUMMY

Yesterday a friend of mine chatted up a 21 year old guy. Now considering she is 29 , most people I know would gasp in horror at her sugar mummy antics, but in her defense she had no idea he was 8 years younger than she was. And she doesnt look 29, neither does he look 21 so she could be forgiven for thinking he was older.
It all happened at this wedding we attended. Having scouted the room she spotted this cute guy sitting quietly in the corner. Normally she wouldn't dare approach a guy, but my other friend ( I shall refer to her as the persuader) had been psyching her up all evening to talk to this guy and would not get off her case until she took the bold step to do so. So she finally plucked up the courage to do it and they ended up talking and dancing for like an hour. At the end of the night when the persuader asked if he took her number and my friend replied to the contrary, she then made inquiries to find out more about the guy and discovered (to our amusement) that she was practically old enough to be his mother!! (okay, okay I exaggerate just a little bit. lol)
My poor friend now feels like a cradle-snatcher, but I was encouraging her to look on the bright side; at least she got to dance with a cute guy and having a good time, which is something we rarely get to have at these affairs.
Which brings me to my question; this is mostly directed at the girls, but guys please feel free to volunteer your opinions. Would you date a guy who was younger than you? (and vice versa for the guys) and if so how much younger?
I, personally, am not an advocate for dating guys much younger than me, but one has to look at the bigger picture. If he has everything going for him, is level-headed, mature, responsible, etc the fact that he happens to be younger than me shouldn't necessarily be a big deal, but then again, some girls have a real issue with this.
On the flip side, look at the growing trend of sugar mummies who seem to be making it work - Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher, Madonna & Guy Ritchie, etc (not that I'm aspiring to date a guy who is 20 years younger than me; that's taking it a bit too far, dont you think??)
So, back to my question - how young is too young?

14 Comments:

At 8:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wheewww! After such a long time, a post at last! Off to read now. (smile)

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

These days, young is never too young. As long as you're in the diaspora & both set of parents arent from an african background, then the likelihood of acceptance of the relationship is quite high. Back home, its practically unheard of. The couple would be excommunicated more like if they dared try such a thing. LOL!!

Would I go for a younger guy? No, I dont think so.

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Pls tell me it wasnt the Idah/Osunde wedding you both were at ....? (smile)

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Beautifully Human said...

excommunicated!! that's a bit extreme isnt it? lol
to your question; no it wasnt said wedding.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Anu boy said...

uhmm,left to me the only thing that matters is the acceptance of the mind, if both can flow well its okay... but uhmm, as along as the babe don cross the 18yrs old platform, everything is still good...

 
At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol i wrote about this a little while ago.. i'm 21 met a gorgeous funny fun 18 year old but i couldnt do it jare.. not interested in a dude thats probably still in high school.. i think its different as one gets older.. a 3 year age difference doesnt look so bad at 40 or 30... it depends on the ppl really.. if he makes you happy... go for it.. but i personally wouldnt date a 21 year old if i was 28/29... but perhaps thats just me... and yeah welcome back to bloggin hopefully you dont take this amount of time off agian.. but props to ur friend for actually walking up to the guy

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i could possibly do a yr or so younger...
any younger than a yr, and they'd be the same age as my siblings. ewww.

on secound thoughts...
hmm... maybe i could do two yrs o...
kai. two years.

naaa i'll stick to one...
i'm comfortable with one yr.
Sooooo...
one yr younger... thats my final answer! lol

PS. hope we dont have to wait another month for a post
**smile**

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Azuka said...

I'm not sure I really care. What matters is that both parties connect. Of course the age difference stuff gets to most people. What would happen if all of a sudden men started going for older women? :evil grin:

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger NaijaBloke said...

Finally you updated!!! Na wah o

Hmmmmmm..... we prolly need to divide the approach to the question o.

Will I date a chic that is older than me? ...Yes o

Will I marry a chic that is older than me? ... Na here the comma dey now...

 
At 11:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you.need.to.update.

or else!!!

 
At 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I could never go for anyone more than two years younger, I just... nope, physically cannot!

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Sisto said...

As for mi o,
maybe am too naija
i cannot do a younger bors,
he shld go to my younger sista
truth be told
its difficult for a woman to respect am man younger than she is

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger shollypops said...

Infact, this is something that has being going through my mind lately.

Honestly it becomes a tough decision if the guy got it all going and really crazy about you.

I think it balls down to understanding and mutual respect for each other.

Besides,how young is younger? 3? 4? 5? 6?

 
At 5:17 PM, Anonymous bennie efemena ben-iriri said...

I probably would not go more than four years older. Nothing wrong with dating an older woman as long as we are on the same wave length.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home